Press House – Palestine or Bait Al-Sahafa (BAS) is an independent, non-profit media institution. Press House is concerned with media issues, and freedom of expression. Press House-Palestine was founded in January 2013 through an initiative of a group of journalists and opinion makers who are concerned with the state of the Palestinian journalism and in actualizing democracy. Press House-Palestine aims at establishing a unique model of cooperation and exchange with the various sectors of civil society, on the basis of partnership and integration. Press House-Palestine is currently headquartered in Gaza with plans to expand its reach through opening other branches.
Press House-Palestine is a non-governmental, non-profit institution, which aims at contributing in enhancing freedom of expression and to leveraging the quality of Palestinian media, through capacity building, training, advocacy, and networking programs, on the principles of human rights including equality and non-discrimination.
Press House-Palestine aspires to play a leading role in empowering independent media, freedom of expression, and the quality of Palestinian journalism.
• Learning and Initiative.
• Team work.
• Justice and Objectivity.
• Social Responsibility.
• To contribute in enhancing the principles of freedom of expression and enabling the Palestinian journalism from keeping pace with the ever-changing world of journalism, as well as networking with international media and research organizations.
• To create Palestinian media which can proficiently address and advocate Palestinian society’s issues both locally and internationally, in a transparent and independent manner.
• To contribute in building the capacities of Palestinian media cadres in a professional and performance-based manner, in a way that enables them from keeping pace with the international media development.
• To create a network of young journalists and intellectuals, who believe in freedom of expression and desire to advocate the cause of the Palestinian people and freedom of expression, locally and internationally, in full cooperation and coordination with civil and official bodies.
Press House Programs
1. Capacity Building Program
This program aims at contributing in enhancing the capabilities of Palestinian journalists, media graduates (males & females), and media institutions; where it works on enhancing the knowledge, skills and expertise of media cadres, through providing training opportunities in all the required technical and professional aspects, as well as providing exchanging Expertise opportunities between local and foreign media.
2. Networking & Advocacy Program
This program aims at enhancing and improving the common, societal views toward the critical media and public opinion issues, through providing services and activities that will contribute in enhancing the skills and expertise of the targeted groups to defend human rights (especially media, workers' rights), democratic values, and societal issues, through networking with related organizations and executing various lobbying and advocacy campaigns and different initiatives.
3. Media & Documentation Program
This program aims at enhancing independent media and empowering the capabilities of fresh journalists in the Gaza strip; through providing them with the opportunity to receive practical training and publishing their materials on "Sawa News Agency". The program is also concerned with serving and protecting Palestinian citizens' rights and issues, in addition to documenting and preventing the daily violations journalists are going through during their work.